|About Amiga Research Operating System (AROS)
AROS is a portable and free desktop operating system aiming at being compatible with AmigaOS 3.1, while improving on it in many areas.
Designed to be portable and flexible, ports are currently available for x86 and PowerPC based PCs in native and hosted flavours, with other architectures in development.
The source code is available under an open source license, which allows anyone to freely improve upon it.
Amiga Research OS running in all it's glory:
- Sound support
- AHI provides sound support
- AC97 driver
- Sound Blaster Live! (emu10k) driver
- AmiTCP provides TCP/IP for AROS.
- ATA.device with DMA support
- Supports nativly most of the GeForce range made by NVidia.
- Object-oriented GUI toolkit
- Runs from CD, harddrive, or hosted.
- OS can be booted and run from CD.
- Can be installed nativly on a harddisk
- Can be started from a hosted enviroment like Linux.
Another screenshot of the magnificent Amiga Research OS: