MorphOS is a mixed proprietary and open source operating system produced for the PegasosPPC hardware platform by a core development team and contributors. The OS itself is proprietary. Several libraries and other parts are open source, such as Ambient (the desktop interface).
It currently runs only on PowerPC processors by Freescale and IBM while still supporting the original AmigaOS MC680x0 applications via its proprietary task-based emulation solution and most of the newer, PPC/AmigaOS applications using API wrappers.
MorphOS with Ambient running in all it's glory:
- Very fast Just-in-time (JIT) compiler for 68k-emulation.
Fully integrated 68k emulator
- Drivers for modern hardware
- Supports a lot of PCI network cards.
- Supports a broad range of USB devices.
- A lot of the modern printers supported
- Support for a wide range of graphics cards.
- Supports Radeon 7000,7200,7500,8500,9000,9100,9200,9250
- Supports Voodoo 3,4,5
- DVI Support
- Overlay support
- Memory protection
- Ambient desktop
- Fully asyncronous, multi-threaded design
- Supports many icon formats
- ARexx port
- Built in commodities manager
- Visual effects - Transparency, blurring, color imposing, alpha channels.
- Desktop image rescaling and centering.
- Automatic icon rescaling.
- Magic User Interface (MUI)
- TinyGL provides 3D-support for MorphOS.
- Easy to use system layer API
- Highly configurable
- Fast and robust pipeline.
- Multitexture, mipmapping and palette texture handling.
- Cube mapping
- Stencil buffer
- Display lists
- Vertex arrays
- GLUT implementation.
- All primitives are supported, also variable size lines and points.
- MOSNet, a moderately powerful TCP/IP stack
Another screenshot of the magnificent MorphOS: